What happened to you, Gizmodo?

I used to have a specific way i started out my day:

1. Wake up
2. Get dressed
3. Caffeine in one form or another
4. Get on the laptop and look at my favorite blogs.


Something has changed. I don't like change.


I hadn't had the time to get on some of the sites that I normally frequent for a while, so I don't know how long this has been going on, but it would appear that one of my favorite, no nonsense all-tech websites has decided to whore itself out for sponsorship. After looking further into this, their new layout has been in effect since the Gawker network changed the layout of their entire blog lineup in February. They think it looks good. I think it looks like mashed ass. As soon as the page loads, you are smacked in the face with a giant ad by State Farm. After you spend a minute getting convinced that you haven't accidentally made it to the wrong site, you will notice State Farm ads everywhere.

If you can convince yourself to get past the ad(s), you will find one sort of 'splash' story in the main frame and over to the right will be a list of the latest stories.

It's cumbersome, and it's foul and it's ugly. I used to log in and see interesting posts with photos that were humorously edited with captions and a shameless lack of censorship. Now we get this 'new and improved' version that makes me want to immediately leave the site and then go throw up in a garbage can.

Sorry Giz, you had a good run. I'm taking you off my site's list of interested links. I think I will go vomit now.

No comments: